Wednesday, November 10, 2010

5 minute a day artisan #1


Most darling little loaf ever.
Dough is mixed and placed in fridge for future use.
I love the blisters in the crust-result of spraying it with water and baking in steam oven.
Dough was stiffer and easy to work with.
Perfect crunchy crust.
Crumb was chewy and moist, however; could be airier in my opinion.
From fridge to table in 1 hour. That would be the huge bonus.
Next trial: wetter dough to compare crumb.

Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day. A year or so ago, I tried this one but I wasn't happy about the results. However, it was in the early days of making artisan bread and I just memorized the recipe and didn't pay attention to the baking techniques!! Thankfully, my sister told me that hers turned out great. So, I figured I needed to give it another try and do it right!! By the way, this dandy little loaf went to a friend for her birthday. All I had to do was pull off a chunk of dough from the batch in the fridge and the bread was done an hour later...ready for delivery!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm posting an update to the wetter dough...didn't like how the loaf looked. It was flatter but the crumb was airier. For now, I'm sticking with this recipe. The flavor and texture of the wetter dough totally reminds me of "Vicki's French Bread". I need to make that recipe in a steam oven on my stone and see how it shapes up.
    -Red Hen

    ReplyDelete