Friday, November 29, 2013

Nussknacker

Nussknacker: According to German folklore, nutcrackers were given as keepsakes to bring good luck to your family and protect your home. The legend says that a nutcracker represents power and strength and serves like a trusty watch dog guarding your family from evil spirits and danger. A fierce protector, the nutcracker bares its teeth to the evil spirits and serves as the traditional messenger of good luck and goodwill.

If this is true, I'm in good hands for the holidays! 

 
 
It all started at the mall, in my teens, when I saw these three. 
I remember telling my mom "I want to start collecting nutcrackers." 
Those same three nutcrackers were under the tree on Christmas morning. 
I was ecstatic!


And then, Santa went all crazy and started leaving these on Christmas morning...


 ...real nutcrackers! The bagpipe player on the left was my first "real" nutcracker...yes, I cried like a baby. I remember my jaw dropped when I saw the price tag attached.


Year after year, I'd open my nutcracker on Christmas morning. I started recognizing the size of the box and would get the butterflies just imagining what nutcracker it would be. As I'd start opening, my family would tease "here come the tears."  I'd always cry with gratitude and excitement!!
After I got married, I was informed that the tradition wouldn't be able to continue, I totally understood! But the strangest thing now happens.  Every December, I get a knock at the door. No one is there, but a beautifully wrapped box, just the size of a nutcracker! Now that I have kiddies, there are oftentimes 3 beautifully wrapped boxes on the doorstep.

Maisy wanted her collection posted:


My nutcrackers all have a story. Here are a few:

One year our family had to give handmade presents. That year's nutcracker was 
"Cost-co Santa!"


Another year, shortly after my great grandpa passed away, my nutcracker was a total resemblance of him, down to the red cowboy hat, cowboy outfit, and horse.  I was shocked, and felt like this one was made especially for me. I love and miss my great grandpa. But I know he hangs out with us, especially in December!


This year was a treat...I'd never seen anything so authentic looking and unique as this yodeler from the high alps that dances and turns on top of a music box. 



So, a few days before Thanksgiving, we get the nutcrackers out. The kids get to spend a few days playing with them and then we decorate.




 
I'm thankful for parents who see the beauty in traditions. I had no idea how neat this collecting of nutcrackers would be, but my mom did. I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment