Saturday, November 2, 2013

Great Grandpa's Desk

I inherited this desk years ago from an incredible cowboy, my Great Grandpa.  When he passed away, I got to have this desk, an old typewriter and one of his rodeo trophies.  This is the second time I have re-done the desk. About 17 years ago, I stripped it, re-stained it, then sealed it with wax. 

Recently, I decided it was time for another re-do. Half way thru my project (when I realized it would take several coats of paint to cover it), I remembered that I had wanted to use chalk paint on it! I had researched it a year ago and had forgotten.  So, I ran in the house and googled the homemade recipes that I had seen and I happened to have baking soda, so I used that recipe. Normally when using chalk paint, you don't have to sand or prime! I went the extra mile on this project!!


CHALK PAINT
...didn't buy Annie Sloan's, but I was happy with the results of my homemade chalk paint!
1 cup paint and 1/2 cup baking soda, mix and brush on.


 Didn't take a before pic! This is after sanding.

Rough texture of the chalk paint.

 Sand until smooth with fine sandpaper. Also sand edges for distressed look.

 Wipe on, wipe off dark stain. To show off any detail in the wood!

Wipe on, wipe off min wax to seal the deal.

 Re-attached hardware (which I spray painted).

Finished Desk!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment